Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX Failover Questions

From: "Bruce Smith" <bruce_the_loon () worldonline co za>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:01:28 +0200

Hi Kevin

Stateful Failover on the PIX is somewhat different to what you outline
below. With a properly configured stateful failover, a failure on a single
port will result in the traffic to that port being sent over the failover
Ethernet link and out the matching standby port on the other PIX. The ports
on the active PIX that haven't failed remain active, unlike a serial
failover where the whole PIX goes offline. Active state tables are
maintained over the link for instant switchover, but the requirement that
your failover link be as fast as your fastest interface is for when you
actually lose a port. If the active PIX itself fails, the standby will take
over all traffic through its interfaces as it would when using the serial
link.

The documentation for the PIX claims that the switchover of a single port
when using Ethernet failover can be done without disrupting active HTTP
sessions over the firewalls.

FYI, we don't use stateful failover, but just the serial. Our people don't
notice the delay when the cutover happens.

Regards

Bruce Smith