Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: websiite log transfers from exposed to internal nets:

From: Richard Threadgill <richardt () midgard net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:33:23 -0700

In message <Pine.LNX.4.05.10306191045500.8802-100000 () darkstar sysinfo com>"R. D
uFresne" writes

Folks,

I have a number of windoows/NT based systems that are in an exposed DMZ
that need  to transfer rotated logs to an internal unix system forlog
analysis.  My recommendation is to have the internal unix system pull
those logs from the exposed subnet via rsync/sshd <would require cgywin
besides licesngin of sshd for a windows  platform>.  Of course, the
windows folks are ballking at this due to haivng to to setup the
applications/deamons and all that, let alone licesning sshd for their
platform.  I see the pull coming from the inside as being the best way to
control the transaction in a secure manner rather then punching a hole for
their systems to push <via plain old ftp> to the inside.  But, perhaps I'm
seeing things in a tunnel.  Is my view lopsided or skewd and dooes anyone
know of a way to accomplish this chore with something more standard then
sshd/rsync between these two platforms?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

Short answer: you're being perfectly sane and have probably got
the best architecture for your situation.

Longer answer:

You're asking three seperate issues here, let's rip them apart
from each other.

First, you're asking wihch direction should the communication be
initiated - secured area to unsecured area, or unsecured area to
secured area.  We want the secure area to connect to the unsecure
area.  The only wrinkle to this is that if you use ftp, you have
a seperate connection coming back at an unpredictable port, so
you should probably avoid using ftp.

Secondly, what protocol would you like to use? Because of ftp's
multiple connection issues, ssh or rcp are preferable
protocols.  You probably don't want to use rcp, because the
traffic and the access credentials are being sent in the clear,
so you'd prefer to use ssh if you can.  You also want to avoid
udp-based protocols, because they're connectionless and therefore
harder to filter properly.

The third issue is what implementation you would
prefer to use.  The questions to ask:

        1. which implementation is my team most comfortable
        installing and managing
        2. which implementation is reputed to be best right now
        3. is the implementation I plan to use also in use in other
        similar installations with similar use profiles and security
        requirements
        4. is the implementation I plan to use known to be vulnerable
        to specific well-known attacks

That's a prioritized list - user comfort level starts out
winning.  Question 2 is how you find an implementation if your
team isn't familiar with any.  Question three is used to confirm
the relevance of a product's reputation; if a product is almost
never used by similar users, none of the problems that will make
your life bad will have been found by the existing user base.
Question 4 is also a confirmation question; if the implementation
you planned to use has just been announced to be vulnerable to an
attack which your installation is particularly vulnerable to,
then you should probably wait until that vulnerability is fixed.

So, let's examine our options.  We've already decided which side
should initiate the connection. Protocol is probably ssh, unless
there's some native application protocol that both sides of the
connection support.  That leaves determining the vendor and
implementation of ssh, which depends on end-user factors that we
don't have, but that you do.

RichardT