Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Security policy & setup for portable computers

From: "Hilal Hussein" <hilalma () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:27:21 +0000

Dear Gentlemen,

My Boss asked me to write down :
1 - the Password Policy
2 - The Client 'winXP,win98,winNT Wordstation' Security Policy
3 - The Information Technology Security Policy in General in our company

1-For the Password Policy, i got lots of documents from the net, and i came out with two policies, one for "the creation of strong passwords, the protection of those passwords, and the frequency of change" and the other is for "how to write down passwords and seal them in an envelope, how to store them and retrieve them appropriately". Q1: do I have to keep it two policies or it is perferable to merge both in one document?

2 - For the Client security policy
Q2: Is there any simple/clear and compelete document that is already available for free on the net?

3 - For the IT security policy in General,
Q3: I got lots of documents, but till now, i am not able to see a complete policy that will be a reference in my security dept, since we have firewall, servers "domain, exchange, webmail, Oracle web application, ... Is there any Document that is covering all of hte above mentioned IT services, and more?

One further question: what is the Security policy for a laptop? and what setup should be for teh laptop to be secure since users will travel with teh laptop using other network or internet connections, then come back to our secure network, i am sure that some extra care should be taken in advanced in order not to introduce any vulnerability to our secure network.

your comments and supports are really appreciated

with regards,

Hilal Hussein