Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Security Audit and Priorities

From: "Bob Wanamaker - Avant Systems, Inc." <rlw () avantsystems com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:46:54 -0400

Greetings, Paul.

Congrats on the new gig!

Learn your network.

*I'd* not worry too much about IDS at this point.  Harden servers;
understand your firewall, routers, switches [I've seen folks attempt to do
security via VLAN's - things like that are not immediately obvious if you
don't have access to the original network designer]; learn what your
workstation configs are like; spend some quality time with a sniffer -
during low-use and peak-use times; pore over every log file you can find;
examine-test backup/recovery strategies and tools.

Diagram how each "application level" network conversation takes place, and
what devices/processes are involved: e.g., a workstation sends an e-mail: it
hits the private mail server queue, is removed by content filtering
software, is scanned for virii, is dropped off in the queue, is tagged for
delivery to remote, transferred to gateway smtp server, etc.  Then start
asking the questions about who has access to that e-mail at each point in
your diagram.  Remember that we're not only concerned with securing
machines, but with securing data.  Then ask if that conversation is
appropriate on your network.

As you do more and more of this, you'll naturally be starting an audit:
e.g., as you go through logs, you'll notice which are missing; you'll notice
if they're archived; you'll notice if you have the tools to pull them apart;
you'll notice if timestamps are coordinated - in short, you'll discover if
logging is adequate to put together a picture of who is accessing what
resources when and how.

Once you get a solid grasp of what constitutes normal traffic and normal
ops, you can start really tightening things down, and then consider
implementing an IDS to help you keep things tidy.

Hope that helps,

Bob