Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Security Audit and Priorities

From: pammann () execomm net (Paul Ammann)
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:53:30 -0700

Hi

I will be starting a new job in the next few weeks. I went to Netcraft and
typed in the company's URL and was amazed by what I saw: the version of
Linux, the version of Apache, the version of OpenSSL... literally everything
about their web servers.

I have a lot of experience with firewalls, but I'll profess my ignorance in
other security areas. So, here are my two questions:

1. What is the best way to block Netcraft from obtain all this information.
Are there Open Source solutions that would be better than commercial
solutions?

2. The company has acknowledged they are lacking in security. What is the
best method for doing a security audit?

Thanks in advanced!

Paul