Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

OpenSource Firewall for ISP or Webhost

From: "Jim McAtee" <jmcatee () mediaodyssey com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:21:13 -0600

I'm looking for an easy to install Linux or BSD based firewall suitable for a
service provider.

I'm familiar with some of the easy Linux firewall installations such as
Smoothwall, IPCop and the like, but in examining them, they all seem very much
geared to the SOHO user, usually with just two (sometimes three) zones.

What I'm looking for, if it exists, is an installation that supports an
unlimited number of interfaces (well, at least four anyway), good logging,
intrusion detection, NAT, bandwidth shaping/limiting, and 802.1q VLAN tagging.
I don't need a GUI - I'd be just as happy if the only permitted administrative
connections were via SSH.  I can also deal with editing configuration files and
the nuances of iptables, ipfilter, etc.

Where I need help is that I don't feel I have a thorough enough understanding
of Linux or BSD to be able to confidently know that I've completely secured the
system when working from a standard installation.  So something like IPCop
where you've got an easy, minimalist OS installation that is locked down out of
the box and offers some of the tools I mention above is what I'm looking for.

Does such a thing exist?

Thanks,
Jim