Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DNS records for a firewall NAT pool

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:23:06 -0400

--On Tuesday, July 29, 2003 18:43:10 -0400 Barney Wolff <barney () databus com> wrote:

I'd be very wary of dots in a hostname, and of hostnames beginning
with a digit *.  FreeBSD's gethostbyname seems to accept a dotted-quad
as a name, but I'm not sure that's universal.

* Names starting with a digit are valid in dns but not valid hostnames.
Some systems care, some don't.

Hostnames may begin with digits. What makes you think they can't? This was fixed eternities ago thanks to 3com.com ;-)

As for having a hostname be a dotted quad, just be aware what it will either be used as an IP address directly (bypassing name services entirely), or be looked up as 1.2.3.4.dns-domain-search-path (assuming you're using DNS as your host name service), depending on the application used, and the resolver library in question.

--
Carson