Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: What is the difference between stateful packet filtering and Stateful pkt inspection ?

From: Frederick M Avolio <fred () avolio com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:45:48 -0500

At 04:06 PM 1/31/2003 +0100, Volker Tanger wrote:

3) What does the WG FB 1000 do ? Stateful Pkt Inspection or Stateful Pkt
filtering ?
4) What does the WG V60 do ? SPInspection or SPfiltering ?

Stateful - definitely. And I guess some inspection for HTTP - but nothing I know of (please correct me) for other protocols.

Firebox is a hybrid. So there are proxies for quite a few applications as well as filters. You can configure it to use both -- based on IP addresses. So, you can dynamic filter outgoing SMTP but proxy incoming (for example).

Fred
(No affiliation with any firewall vendor)