Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Best-of-breed Proxies (was Re: Proxy Firewalls ...)

From: Brian Hatch <firewall-wizards () ifokr org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:38:43 -0800

This means you'd not be able to use ssh identity authentication
to the internal machine (since the key would be on the user's
client, not on the middle man.)  It would also seem to defeat
things like scp/sftp because the machine in the middle won't
pass the commandline args along.

Yup. Plus it defeats port forwarding, X display forwarding, and
eveything else; it pretty well reduces the delivered service to
plain shell.

I construe this as a feature, but then I'm an aspiring BOFH.

I failed to point out where I was considering your solution
from an administrator position (hell yes, keep them from
doing anything but shell) and a user perspective (hey - why
can't I leave X11 open to my ISP shell account with poor
file perms so everyone can attack my screen?  I want to
run xclock there!)

As a user, I'd easily be able to work around those features by
tunneling another ssh over the sanitized ssh connection.

It's impossible to make that impossible. It's impractical to make it
impractical.

As I noted later on.

It is however easy to make it hard enough that doing so
is very obviously the work of someone deliberately thwarting policy;
and so if you add some monitoring sufficient to help improve the
odds you can pick up the different traffic pattern that results
(simple load monitoring on the proxy server would suffice here,
normal shell sessions don't cause significant load, an IP tunnel
would) you're nicely positioned to fire the perpetrator for cause
and begin prosecution. Oh, if you don't have a security policy that
clearly prohibits defeating security measures, endorsed by senior
management, with copies signed by each employee in their HR folder,
then there's no point in worrying about implementing tight controls,
or detection; you're purely dependant on the goodwill of your
employees anyway.

I hope you don't think that I'm in any way disagreeing with you
or your setup.  As an admin, I lock down things and punish those
who circumvent.  As a user, I let management know where I'm going
to bend the rules and why and get their agreement to do so before
doing anything that could get me canned.

You can never stop everything.  You can make the barrier
high enough that no one can claim they accidentally stumbled
upon a way around the rules.

--
Brian Hatch                  Kibblesworth: The footling amount of
   Systems and                money by which the price of a given