Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: insecurity in internet connection thro cable modems

From: Brian Ford <brford () cisco com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 13:55:37 -0500

Dave,

More than
likely, natting a home network behind a linksys soho router would be sufficient.

Yet another security policy that begins with "more than likely". What happens in the "likely" case when someone figures out where you are and wants to get at your stuff?

Putting in PIX 501's at someones home would be insane. If you have to administer
it, a small Netscreen is much easier than dealing with PIX.

Gee Dave.  Why would it be insane to use a PIX?

To set up a PIX at home all you need is the PIX. You don't need a PC and the setup disk that NetScreen ships.

The 501 ships with a default "plug and play" configuration that for many installs (including folks sitting behind a cable modem) requires no modification to get up and running.

The PIX also supports Cisco AUS (Auto Update Server) so that security policy, operating system image, and configuration updates can be securely downloaded to the PIX from a central site without end user intervention.

You said "a small Netscreen is much easier than dealing with PIX". Have you really tried both products? Could it be that you just don't like PIX? Or that you just don't know about the PIX?

Liberty for All,

Brian