Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Allowing DNS servers to operate behind NetScreen 500

From: David Klein <dklein () netscreen com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:07:49 -0800

Glenn,

... Ideally I'd like
something akin to UDP connection tracking, where an outgoing
DNS request installs a time-limited rule which allows the
reply to traverse the firewall in the opposite direction.

By default, Netscreens implement a DNS ALG (Appl Level Gateway) to do just
this.  However, it will only allow one UDP packet (DNS response) to the
original DNS request that went out.  I've seen problems when multiple UDP
packets come back to the same DNS request.  Or if the DNS server sends
multiple DNS requests to the same IP address without changing the source
port for each query.  This will also confuse the DNS ALG.

There are a couple of things to try:
    set flow allow-dns-reply
    save
This will allow a dns reply pkt without a matching request.

You may also want to try the command:
    set dns udp-session-normal
    save
which should allow for normal UDP handling of DNS packets (i.e., more then
one inbound reply packet can match the session setup by the outbound query
packet).

Dave Klein