Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: OSPF on Firewall

From: MHawkins () TULLIB COM
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:34:12 -0500

No, this is not true.

You CAN establish OSPF neighbors across firewalls (and RIP, BGP, EIGRP,
IGRP).

Since OSPF uses multicast to find other neighbors you can do it one of two
ways depending on the type of firewall you are using.

The easy way is to configure the routers on either side of the firewall with
specific neighbor statements that will establish unicast connections to each
other through the firewall.

The hard way is to get multicast routing working on your firewall and then
open OSPF IP protocol 89 (RFC 1247). This is a big hassle (and can't work at
all on PIX since pix doesn't support multicast). I tried this with
Nokia/CheckPoint and have put it off for now. Too hard and Cisco IGMP Nokia
IGMP have interoperability problems too!

Stick to the easy way - it works.

Mike H