Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: You'll never get fired for recommending IBM - sorry - Microsoft

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:19:31 -0800 (PST)

Marcus Ranum wrote:

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:38:24 -0500

MHawkins () TULLIB COM wrote:
[...snip...]

And I really don't think people _are_ ignoring "monoculture"
arguments. Our own FEDERAL GOVERNMENT (embodied in
the guise of the National Science Foundation) just awarded a
$750,000 grant to CMU and University of New Mexico to
study "monocultures" and diversity in computing.

[...snip...]

Along that same line...

For your info...
-------------------------------------

City of Austin pilot proves OpenOffice.org works

Wednesday December 17, 2003 - [ 02:38 PM GMT ]
Topics: Office Software , Open Source , Software
By: Joe Barr

The City of Austin recently completed a group of pilot studies on the
use of open source software in its day-to-day business. According to a
message posted this morning on the Austin LUG mailing list by Scott
Brown, the results are in, and as a result, as many as 80% of the
city's desktops will be migrating from Microsoft Office to
OpenOffice.org.

Brown noted in his email message that his department (Communications
and Technology Management) will be the first to convert by uninstalling
MS Office and putting OpenOffice.org in its place on about 300
desktops. The city has more than 5,000 desktops in total.

He also pointed out that not everyone can be converted yet because of
one application (the City Council's Agenda Management System) that
requires MS Office to run.

Brown also told the mailing list that "Training programs and help desk
support is being put in place so it looks like OO will be there for the
long-term."

More details to follow.
-------------------------------------

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks () cadence com

"The trouble with doing anything right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was."

When a team of dedicated individuals makes a commitment to act as
one...  the sky's the limit.

Just because "We've always done it that way" is not necessarily a good
reason to continue to do so...  Grace Hopper, Rear Admiral, United
States Navy