Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE:[fw-wiz]: unable to ping behind the firewall

From: "Sloane, David" <DSloane () vfa com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:17:03 -0500

Hilal,

It sounds like you have too many variables to make sense of the
situation.

I'm assuming there's some reason you can't find or clean the
virus-infected/bad-arp computer.  If you can find it, at least pull it
off the network for a while for testing.  If you can't find it because
it produces invalid Ethernet addresses, disconnect half of your
workstations and sniff for the ARP packets.  Dividing the pool in half,
and half again, and so on, can make this a manageable process.

I would try to make sure that the network equipment is all working as
desired first.  For example, if you put a
(hardened/firewalled/disposable/knoppix) computer on the same switch as
the firewall and the ISP router, give it a real IP address and try ping
and https.  If that works, you've eliminated the switch and the ISP
router - they aren't causing the problem.

Then go back behind the firewall with a single workstation - maybe a
crossover cable from the firewall to a clean computer, and try ping and
https.  If those work, your firewall is probably configured correctly
and you're back to finding the problem computer on the network.  Maybe
your LAN switch is broken, but a Layer 2 switch is unlikely to fail for
some IP protocols and not others.

There are certainly other ways to do this, but this is how I would
start.

Good luck.

-David