Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Transparent proxies and PMTUD on the (WWW) serverside

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:33:53 +0200

"Marcus J. Ranum" wrote:

If an ALG supports transparent proxying, enables PMTUD, and does not intercept ICMP must fragment, the ALG is
broken. File a high priority trouble ticket with your vendor.

If an ALG understands PMTUD and ICMP it's not an ALG, it's a packet
filter masquerading as a proxy. All that stuff is totally below application
space.

Um, no. I'll rephrase Carson's mail for him:

"If an ALG-based firewall system that implements transparency on
the client side has PMTUd on in the underlying operating system,
and the transparency code doesn't handle ICMP 'must frag'
errors, the firewall system is b0rken."

So, yeah, ok, the ALG itself shouldn't care about ICMP errors.
But the transparency function / packet filter that makes
the ALG transparent surely should. And it doesn't make
the firewall a packet filter in my book.

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden