Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Strange NAT entries on the PIX

From: Lisa Napier <lnapier () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 16:39:58 -0800

Hi Joe,

I've seen this pattern before, here's what to look for, and some ideas to help sort things out.

You appear to have a route around the firewall, so traffic is coming to the inside interface, translated to the outside interface address, and somehow getting routed back around to the inside interface. This symptom goes hand in hand with the the original problem you were trying to solve - NAT pool resource exhaustion.

Last time I saw this, the other factor they going had was some very clever policy based routing on the outside gateway router that was 'helping' to keep certain traffic passed back to the firewall network - via a route around the firewall.

As a workaround solution until you untangle the path the traffic is taking - limit your inside nat pool to the specific inside network address space -- it should *not* be something like "nat x 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0" but should be more specific - and should definitely NOT include the outside addresses. That will stop your NAT pool resource exhaustion, but you'll still be getting traffic routed strangely, and will probably see traffic drops with 'no translation errors' or some similar message on the inside interface of your firewall.

You will definitely need to track down how the traffic is rolling back in from the outside, as that is a serious problem in a firewall installation. A firewall (any firewall ) can only work on traffic it actually SEES -- if there's a route around the firewall, your filtering is not happening on all traffic, and your firewall is not as effective as it should be.

Once you can track down the source and destination of the original connection attempt, you should be able to track the path it is taking that gets it routed in a loop around or bypassing the PIX and once you sort that out, you'll be in better shape.

Hope that helps,

Lisa Napier
Product Security Incident Response Team
Cisco Systems
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/sec_incident_response.shtml

PGP:  A671 782D 2926 B489 F81A 3D5E B72F E407 B72C AF1F
ID: 0xB72CAF1F, DH/DSS 2048/1024