Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: RPCs over HTTPS through the firewall

From: "Ben Nagy" <ben () iagu net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:01:17 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Tinberg [mailto:mtinberg () securepipe com]
[...
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Ben Nagy wrote:
[snip]
Finally, "conventional" port 443 traffic basically contains
unsecured,
unsecureable rubbish, passing through the firewall
encrypted, so that
it's all one Big River of Risk as far as an admin is
concerned. Does
it matter much if we add RPC to the sludge? Nnnnnnnope.

I would not agree with that.

OK. But even when taken out of context I think I can still back it up...

 HTTP traffic over 443 or 80 has
a similar risk profile, although encrypting traffic over 443
prevents several types of shenanigans that can be had on the
intervening network links.

I think the point is that port 443 doesn't just contain HTTP traffic
anymore, and from an admin point of view it's impossible to tell. The risk
profile of port 443 isn't really congruent with that of HTTP, and it is one
of the firewall admin's major bugbears.

 RPC on the other hand generally
exposes a much richer interface, directly into the core of
the OS that generally was never designed with security as
even a tertiary concern.

Which is why it's directly exposed on most OSes through the endpoint / port
mapper, right? C'moooonnnnn.

And what's this "directly into the core of the OS" stuff? RPC lets
distributed apps call functions remotely. Yes, it's low level, but that's
not saying the same thing. If you allow, for example, remote registry access
(which uses RPC) _then_ you're exposing the core of the OS, but RPC doesn't
really expose anything by itself.

 There are way more things that can
go wrong and you have far less access control opportunities
than with a web service.

(URL will wrap)
http://www.googlefight.com/cgi-bin/compare.pl?q1=RPC+exploit&q2=Web+exploit&;
B1=Make+a+fight%21&compare=1&langue=us

According to Googlefight (mmost acurate of sources ;)

RPC exploit ( 45 800 results) versus Web exploit (1 140 000 results)

Flippant, I know, but - sadly - it does reflect reality. It's ironic,
really, that RPC has been one of the big unix "hack me" services whereas it
is not one of the worst MS offenders. The  Web service, however, has
historically been the exact opposite. Before anyone gets all "platform
agnostic" on me, the original question regarded Outlook traffic to an
Exchange server, so excuse me for being windows centric here.

I would say that allowing RPC from
random hosts on the Internet without at least authenticating
the source before allowing the traffic through is a no-go.

That's very true. It's also pretty much unrelated to the discussion you
snipped my quote from. Hardly sporting, old chap.

- --
Mark Tinberg <MTinberg () securepipe com>
Network Security Engineer, SecurePipe Inc.

Cheers,

ben