Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Managed Firewall Service - Opinions

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:19:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Melson, Paul wrote:

There are two purposes, the first, and main is *operational*
outsourcing.
24x7 coverage, alerting, event interpretation and reporting, platform
maintenance, etc.  The second is being able to ask "what's the best
way to
do $foo?"

Alerting and event interpretation sound like risk analysis tasks to me.

Not really, they're more operational tasks than analytical tasks.  Way
more math goes into a real risk analysis than "Hmmm, that looks bad, I
should call someone!"

If your service provider isn't doing some form of risk analysis based on
their knowledge of your environment and the Internet in general before
contacting you, then you could probably replace them with a software
product, yes?

Not really, again, as I see it, it is more of an operational outsourcing
than a knowledge outsourcing (or more properly, the knowledge piece is
really more operational than policy-based.)

Anyone who expects magical insight is fooling themselves at the price
points MSSPs charge.  A full security service looks at a heck of a lot
more than just the firewall ruleset (and costs a heck of a lot more
than
managed monitoring of one or two devices.)

I couldn't agree more.  If you read back to the beginning of the thread,
I gave this exact piece of advice to Frank when he first broached the
subject.  It's important to work with a vendor that brings more to the
table than just "a few guys that can write access-lists."  I guess
because I work for the latter, I failed to distinguish between a service
provider that only makes requested changes to the firewall and one that
manages the firewall in conjunction with a bevy of other security
services.

Oursourcing operational management is different than outsourcing or
"teaming" or whatever other buzzword you want to use for a larger security
service.  For people who just want to outsource their firewall/IDS stuff,
the expectation that some magic security bunny is going to hop over their
ruleset changes with a risk picture isn't a good expectation to set.

Telnet to a *nix box running Solaris 4.3 is something completely different
from telent to a well-managed mainframe for access to public real estate
data.

"A bevy of other security services" cost a bevy of more dollars, and
requires a significantly larger trust extension.  Plugs like that aren't
relevant to the thread, and I'll actively resist responding to them
directly on list[1].

Heck, I don't think most internal company firewall administrators are
given enough insight into the business to understand the risk implications
of the changes they're asked to make,

Real risk analysis is a structured and somewhat invasive process that
requires a lot more insight into a company's network, culture, policies,
operational levels, business, growth strategy, etc. than folks contracting
firewall management and monitoring tend to get.

Paul
[1.]  My employer competes in this space, and I moderate the list, I'll be
more than happy to respond off-list, but marketing-ish slants aren't
appropriate here.