Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Centrallizing logs

From: Rudy_D_Pereda () mail dbf state fl us
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:44:12 -0400

MP,
Couldn't be that lucky, we still run IIS(4). On the NT side, have you used
any software to redirect NT event logs to a syslog server?

And thanks for your 2 cents. much appreciated.

rdp

|         |           m p              |
|         |           <sumirati@yahoo.d|
|         |           e>               |
|         |           09/12/2002 03:20 |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       Rudy_D_Pereda () mail dbf state fl us, firewall-wizards () nfr com, firewall-wizards-admin () honor
icsalabs com                          |
  |       cc:
                             |
  |       Subject:  Re: [fw-wiz] Centrallizing logs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

 --- Rudy_D_Pereda () mail dbf state fl us schrieb: >
I would like to centralize my logs to one server.  The OS that I would be
using would be FreeBSD 4.6.  My environment consists of cisco
routers/firewalls, freebsd running ipfilter and web servers running on
NT.
I have two questions: 1) What syslog do you recommend?, 2) what software
do
you recommend to check logs?

Any info will be much appreciated,

thanks to all in advance,

rdp

As for the ciscos: They report all things via syslog.
As for ipfilter on FreeBSD: Via ipmon you can utilize syslog.
As for the web servers: Which one are you running? Apache can be talked
into to
 log via syslog. I checked for IIS 4 (we are still running some of them
here
*sigh*) - it can of course not log to anything else then to a file. Perhaps
IIS
5 can do it - or you are not running IIS at all (if you are lucky).

For the questions:
1) I'm not a code monkey anymore. That was some years back in time ;). But
the
functionality and handling of syslog-ng is ok for me. The quality of the
code
is better approved by someone else.
2) Analog is quite handy. Originaly it is a web server log analyser. Some
people wrote scripts that you can analyse your
ipf/BIND/sendmail/qmail/postfix
as if they were web logs. Or you write your own script to convert your logs
what you want. Or use Perl and time to create a log tool to match _your_
requirements. The requierements may differ extremly.

Just my 2 cent.

Marc

Möchten Sie mit einem Gruß antworten? http://grusskarten.yahoo.de