Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Firewall Load balancing solution

From: "Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg)" <rdawes () deloitte co za>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:31:50 +0200

Typically you can only load balance between two firewalls of the same type,
if you want to be able to failover between them in a transparent fashion.
This is because the two firewalls need to share state information as to what
connections are being permitted through, and firewalls of different
manufacture require different state information.

If you don't care if a user's session gets dropped, and they have to restart
it, you should be able to mix your technologies. I wouldn't advise it
though, bacause it can be complicated to debug problems, especially those
caused by rule base mismatches. More so when you don't know WHICH rulebase
is causing the problem. Firewalls (from the same vendor) that are configured
in a hot standby or load balancing configuration typically both get the same
copy of the rulebase, and so synchronisation problems are not an issue.

However, if you are thinking of deploying a multi-tiered, multi-vendor
firewall solution (two Pix in front, two CheckPoint behind) this should be
achievable. Some would even say advisable, due to reduction in Single Point
of Failure.

I am quite interested to know if anyone has experience with firewalls using
VRRP to provide load balancing, and what the advantages and disadvantages
are.

Rogan