Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Personal/Host-based Firewalls

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 08:09:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Ames, Neil wrote:

else's eyes and ears).  I have had very weak success with ZoneAlarm--finding
it the first thing removed when remote techs try solve problems or otherwise
improve their lives.  My first step was to compile a list of products, some

I think you'll find that of any solution you choose.  The key there is
probably to use a tool that gives enough info in the logs that the logs
are a good part of the diagnostic process, but that's not going to stop
someone from dropping it to install the Quake Server...

of which I am fairly certain have gone away, and some of which may not be
cost-effective.  Any notes on any of the following would be appreciated.  I
will publish results to the list if I get anything good input.  (Write to me
directly with *any* tid-bit of intel that I can aggregate into a picture of
the personal firewall world.  Paul might prefer that you don't flood the
list and him with a flurry--though I'd love to see it get lively.)  Here is
my list:

I'd prefer that entries to be added to the long list be sent directly to
Fritz, and that he post a list with the additions as a follow-up.  Generic
comments stand a chance of getting approved, and operational experience
stands an even better chance.

Lively is good if it's discussion, and bad if it's just product advocacy,
especially when it doesn't contain anything substantative.

Paul