Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Query regarding Cisco Router

From: "prasad_patkar" <prasad_patkar () pcsil com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 01:26:50 -0500

 Hi all

I have Query regarding ROUTER.
I have 2 different ISP connections 1st DSL Connection (Broadband) & 2nd 2Mpbs Leased Line.
I want to terminate both on router Cisco 1751V and configure it for fail over i.e fail over of ISP

Router is required to be configured for fail over. I.E if 2Mbps LL fails DSL will take over & Vice versa.

I have connected Firewall behind it. Firewall has only 3Ports(LAN, WAN, DMZ) Both ISP have provided 4 Ips. 2 IPs from
both ISP are used for DMZ servers (Mail & Application).
Both ISP are told to put DNS entries of others IP in their DNS Server. (i.e. DSL will put IP of Leased Line ISP and
vice versa).

Firewall cannot have 2 WAN gateways.

Firewall is to be configured for Leased Line ISP provider.

WAN IP of Firewall  === IP of Leased Line ISP.
Gateway of Firewall === IP of Leased Line ISP

REQUIREMENT: -

1)      DSL hathway connection will be used only for Internet Access.
2)      2mbps Leased Line ISP will be used only for Remote Office accessing Application server and Mail being
downloaded in Mail Server.
3)      E.g. If user wants to access a Internet, then request will be forwarded by Proxy server if customer has it or
it will be directly forwarded to LAN IP of  Firewall which will be in turn forwarded to router. Router has to forward
it to DSL connection. All internet  surfing has to be done only through DSL connection

·       Can traffic coming from Firewall WAN Port  be directed by Router accordingly. I.e if Http traffic is coming
from Firewall to router Router has to Direct it to Hathway. While all incoming will be coming via Leased Line ISP.

·       Can router be configured in such a way that if HTTP request I.e port 80 traffic is coming it can be directed to
DSL Connection(BroadBand ).While incoming HTTP or any other traffic used for accessing internal MAIL SERVER &
Application server has to be only through LEASED LINE ISP.

·       Only when either fails one of them has to take care of other. I.e if DSL connection fails then router has to
automatical diver all traffic to Leased Line ISP. And if Leased Line ISP fails it has to direct the traffic to DSL
connection.

·       For achieving this what changes I have to apply in hardware or any request has to be given to ISP Provider.

--
Prasad Patkar
Sr Engg-Networking

ADDRESS :-