Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: NTLM authentication from DMZ

From: Frank Knobbe <fknobbe () knobbeits com>
Date: 19 Sep 2002 15:24:06 -0500

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 02:13, Ben Nagy wrote:
The key threat is that someone will hack your IIS box and then sit on it
gathering valid password pairs for the LAN domain, and then just access
C$ on whatever box they like as soon as anyone in the Domain Admins
group checks their mail. We could argue about countermeasures to that,
but believe me when I say that once someone has control over the DMZ box
then you're in some pretty major schtuck unless you have an extremely
smart IDS or Tingling Spider Senses.

Doesn't have to be that way. The OutlookWebAccess box only needs to have
access to the Exchange server and domain controllers. You could use a DC
in a third DMZ segment and only allow the OWA box to validate accounts
against it. That box in turn can talk to internal DC's. That way you
limit access from the OWA box to internal DC's. Yeah, doesn't prevent
password cracking, but it is still much harder to poke through to the
LAN.

RPC (and the two 'fixed' Exchange services) only need to be available to
the Exchange server not the whole network.

So the statement 'then just access C$ on whatever box they like' is only
valid if you drop the ball in the firewall config. Neatly tightened,
there is no c$ access.

I agree with the rest, such as:
Note that I always recommend that Exchange boxen not talk SMTP to the
outside world - setting up a secure mail relay in the DMZ is cheap, easy
and can provide some good first-pass filtering / screening capabilities.

Regards,
Frank