Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Tunnel intruder

From: "Desai, Ashish" <Ashish.Desai () fmr com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:26:51 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim MacLeod [mailto:jmacleod () earthling net]

Does anybody know of an actual incident where this attack was used,
successfully or not?

-----

We have had mulitple instances where consulting company(s)
were infected with the SQL worm and then when the VPN into
our company, the worm would try in spread the infection
within the company. The solution we deployed is put a firewall
 between the internal company network and the VPN termination
point in the firewall. We can block a lot of things quickly with
this firewall.

There are folks trying to push out security policies to users
remote desktops, ie. local maching firewall config, virus defn update...
However, it raises some interesting
policy problems if the machine is the user's personal machine
and not a company supplied one.

Ashish