Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls on an IPX/SPX network

From: Victoria of Borg <vicofborg () myrealbox com>
Date: 07 Oct 2002 20:08:48 -0500

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 16:32, Brian Bettger wrote:
He has, in the past enjoyed a strictly IPX/SPX network knowing that this
decreases his risk of exposing his servers. Is there a firewall product
out there we can use that allows a VPN connection to utilize IPX/SPX for
several and eventually tens of clients to map a drive to the Novell
server(s)?

There is something to the idea of using IPX/SPX only on your LAN.  What
are they doing for internet-access, if I may ask?  You do mention that
the users would be using DSL/Cable for access.

Novell Bordermanager (http://www.novell.com/products/bordermanager/)
does have a VPN client, and I've seen documentation of past versions
include specifics of how to configure the VPN client for IPX access.
They've even received ISCA certification of their firewall product.
However, the latest version of the product requires Netware 5.1 and
eDirectory 8.6.2 to work, something your client is a few years away
from.

If he isn't afraid of running two NDS trees, it could work. I honestly
don't know if they still have IPX support in their VPN client, but they
did once-upon-a-time.