Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SANS Top Ten and Commercial Firewalls

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:43:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Devdas Bhagat wrote:

[OT] Can we please follow the LKML rule that if there is no specific
request for an offlist reply, then the reply should go only to the list?
I am on the list.

There are several reasons for me replying both to the list and the
individual:

(A) My mail client doesn't make it easy to reply only to the
list (on this message, reply was only to you, reply to all lists the list
as a CC and I have to cut and paste...  That's simply too much work to do
each time, and due to other lists and issues, I'm not willing to start
mucking with my mailer's configuration)

(B) Replies may not be approved
[in this case I personally know the likelyhood, but that's not always the
case ;)]

(C) I like to keep thoughts going even when the list is slow and/or I
don't expect the replies to get approved (this one probably wouldn't have
been, as it wasn't interesting to the list as a whole, but I figured I'd
put this part out in case there was any interesting discussion.)  Replying
to the people in the thread allows faster dialog with those so engaged.

(D) Folks sometimes like to reply off-list to thread participants, so
having them in the headers makes that easy.

I've filtered by message-id in the past to stop from getting duplicate
posts, but it really hasn't bothered me enough to do of late.  I sometimes
find that to the list versus to me is an easy way to deal with excessive
list postings verus stuff I'm interested in.

If there's enough consensus that it's horrible, I'm willing to consider
changing it (I'd prefer most of the discussion to be off-list though, it's
too boring a subject to subject everyone to.)

YMMV,

Paul