Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SANS Top Ten and Commercial Firewalls

From: "manatworkyes moderator" <devekboy () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 05:40:20 +0000

I wrote

> So, to make this short (unlike you I'm lazy:-) In my opinion they cover
> about everything.

Kevin answered :

The question is how many were covered "before" they were known
vulnerabilities?  That is the holy grail for the IDS crowd.  And if
your inbound policy would permit an attack, why wait for the firewall
vendor to add a signature instead of patching or blocking access?

This is a very good question. I'd like to extend that question to other security solutions. IDS for examples: How many IDS systems can deal with the slapper worm ? How many AV blocks bugbear (Before it was publicly available ?) Do you (or anyone else) knwo if there is any *network based generic* security device that deals with the latest Solaris bug ?

IMO, the SmartDefense stuff, is more then signature blocking. It looks for the roots of the problem. So, if SSLv2 is vulenrable, use only SSLv3.