Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: httport 3snf

From: Devdas Bhagat <dvb () users sourceforge net>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:59:07 +0530

On 21/10/02 09:56 -0400, Robert E. Martin wrote:
Hi there.
We run Redhat 6.0 with ipchains and have been able to block AIM and
Ouch, an old .0 release od Redhat. Hopefully, it has been patched and
kept up to date.

others with this system quite effectively, however, our students here
have discovered HTTport 3.snf to bypass our proxy server using a SSL
Why not enforce policy on desktops?

connection. Is there a way to stop this without bringing the rest of the
newtork to it's knees? I have been unable to sniff the packets
Pretty much a FAQ. This is a social problem and should preferably be
solved by social means (read AUP).
Working around this technically is usually painful.

successfully enough to find out what ip address the host ssl server is,
but I am able to launch the program on my local machine, sniff the
You could use a SSL proxy, which intercepts SSL requests, and makes an
outbound SSL connection on behalf of the user.
See the Zorp proxy.

packets and see that the first thing that happens is a DNS Request. Can
I block DNS requests for a specifid url, ipaddress or other entry via
IPCHAINS?
No, but you can block them using your DNS server. Just make your server
authoritative for AOL/MSN/Yahoo, and resolve all these domains to
127.0.0.1

Devdas Bhagat