Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: CERT vulnerability note VU# 539363

From: Daniel Hartmeier <daniel () benzedrine cx>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:53:37 +0200

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 08:20:09AM -0500, Stephen Gill wrote:

In my opinion if a stateful firewall claims it can filter at rate X
(64byte packets, etc...), it should be able to filter at that rate under
all conditions.

Obviously, for any X, when each packet is part of a TCP handshake, the
X/2 (or /3, depending on how you count) newly established connections per
second will exhaust memory on the firewall after a certain amount of time.

I don't think you meant 'be able to filter at that rate' to include
'dropping legitimate connections when running out of memory', did you?

I'd like to learn some of the other methods being used for mitigation
amongst vendors.

Yes, that's what I'd find most intersting to read in vendor statements
myself. :)

Daniel