Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Too Paranoid?

From: "Ryan M. Ferris" <rferris () rmfdevelopment com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 10:36:51 -0700

It strikes me as somewhat depressing that there isn't a ('vendor
independent') single resource dedicated to describing how to secure the
important commercial software that routinely appeal to IT staffs to "punch a
hole in the firewall".  This type of issue came up repeatedly with many
financial institutions that I have consulted. Remarkably (admittedly in
times less dominated by security concerns) the IT unit usually caved into
the business unit demands.

Having been on the other side (development), I see what the attitude was
(is). Management, development, test are so frenzied chasing the critical
bugs out of poorly managed and rushed development projects that the attitude
is "I thnk client security is the responsibility of our clients." (actual
lead developer quote!). In test, you are lucky if someone allows you to work
on a security test plan for the product, much less actually let you take the
time to run the test suite.

If organizations of the type like Real Networks, ADP, Microsoft were
smarter, perhaps they could have their cake and eat it too: Form a 'vendor
independent' association that tests and publishes recommended security and
securing guidelines for their software and software configuration.  What
security you might lose in published guidelines, you would win back in
widespread adoption of guidelines because these vendors would have some
obligation to put the association guidelines into their test suites.  The
vendors themselves would only be under an "umbrella" organization type
influence to secure their product. They wouldn't have to guarantee their
product's security, just point the client to the association website for
advice.

One would guess Sales Departments would have a big interest in such an
association  and such guidelines.

Ryan M. Ferris