Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Variations of firewall ruleset bypass via FTP

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 20:52:30 +1000 (EST)

Another addendum to add to this story, a quick check of some ftp
daemons shows they will convert the response to (at least HELP)
into uppercase.  The IPFilter ftp proxy will not accept that as
a valid response from a PASV.

e.g.

$ telnet solaris8 ftp
220 solaris8 FTP server (SunOS 5.8) ready.
HELP 227 Entering Passive Mode (h1,h2,h3,h4,p1,p2)
502 Unknown command 227 ENTERING PASSIVE MODE (H1,H2,H3,H4,P1,P2).

So if I may reiterate what I said earlier, what the firewall does
for data going from the ftp server is not isolated in this problem
from what the ftp server does to the input.

Darren