Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Primitives

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:27:53 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Stephen P. Berry wrote:
As a result, customers, on the whole, get the security the dumbest customers
deserve.

So good I quoted it twice.

Basically, we're dealing with a problem that is on the order of
a public health issue. Imagine there's a sexually-transmitted
disease that can kill if you get it. But lots of people ignore
it because mitigation is a pain in the neck and the rest of the
people are ignorant. So maybe only a small percentage of the
population protects themself. Sooner or later, that percentage
gets it _anyhow_ because within a long enough time, everyone on
earth has it and, well, the few clueful people are still stuck
on earth. Now, there are fixes - but they are draconian and
involve trampling on people's "right" to be stupid. This is the

This is what happens- the people all wait for medicine to find a cure, so
they don't have to worry about protection.  "Modern medicine will find a
cure before it affects me."  That's what all the folks out there want to
belive, so they do.

That firewall medicine isn't curing it- take some IDS medicine, still not
curing it... IPS medicine...

Paul "I'm still blaming plug-gw" Robertson