Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Interlopers on the WLAN

From: "Frank O'Dwyer" <fod () brd ie>
Date: 09 Nov 2002 15:41:36 +0000

I'm not an attorney either, but I wouldn't be so sure that the below is
as clear cut as all that:

(a) Note the number of references to "intentionally" and "knowingly" in
the law.

(b) Note that the guy with the laptop ALSO is in possession of a
"protected computer". So any law referring to unauthorised access is a
sword that cuts both ways. Maybe you will find yourself trying to
explain why you configured the user's computer with an IP address
without the owner's permission, or just what you were thinking when you
impersonated a public access point. :)

Why not ... after all, the access point contacts the user's computer
first, right? :)

Cheers,
Frank.