Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Flat vs Segmented DMZ's

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:35:47 -0500

First, I assume you mean "multiple DMZ segments", not "there's a DMZ LAN
behind my firewall, then a router, then another LAN"... if correct, then proceed,
if not, ignore...

What's the business rationale for segmenting?

I know that for a hosting company/IDC, you might segment according to customer needs and feeds - if you have a 100 Mbps into the data center, you may use VLANs and traffic enforcement to give 20 subscribers individualized security policy and a bandwidth commitment.

If you're an enterprise, are you trying to compartmentalize business units? Allocate and prioritize bandwidth across business units or special purposed servers? Unique security policies per DMZ segment?