Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Inspecting routers

From: Lorens Kockum <firewall-wizards-20021015 () tagged lorens org>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:31:42 +0100

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 05:22:57PM -0800, Kyle R. Hofmann wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:20:49 +0100, Lorens Kockum wrote:

Other than that, stateful filtering on the external router will
basically protect you from some consequences of having worse TCP
stack implementations on the web servers than on your routers.

This is not strictly true.  Pure stateful filtering may still allow
maliciously constructed TCP segments.  You are thinking of packet
normalization, which usually has stateful filtering as a prerequisite.

Yes - and I'm not sure "routers" do normalization. I should have
emphasized "some" :-)

It will, on the other hand, cost you.  Stateful filtering is
more expensive than non-stateful in terms of CPU / memory /
performance.

This is not true for all implementations, and probably not even for most.

Brain glitch re filtering/non-filtering. Sorry. (Same thing to Mikael).

--
#include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum