Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Port numbers for Peer to Peer file sharing apps.

From: "Mark Whobrey" <mwhobrey () noment net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:22:10 -0800

Hello,

I am trying to find a list of ports used by the most common p2p file sharing
applications. I work for a medium sized isp that services college dorms
across the country with internet access. As you can imagine we are having
serious bandwidth issues at this time due to kazza, direct connect, etc.

At the moment we are running nbar (network based application recognition)
and PDLM (Packet Description Language Module) on our Cisco routers. This
enables us to police or throttle the traffic incoming or out going as
related to Kazza and the fastrack file sharing system.

The problem is that there are many more applications out the such as direct
connect that are not covered by the Cisco nbar modules. Having the port
numbers will at least allow us to write access lists to somewhat control
this issue. If you have any suggestions on this issue please feel free to
email me at mwhobrey () noment net.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Whobrey
Network Systems Engineer