Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Prevent proxy chaining

From: Srinivasa Addepalli <srao () intotoinc com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 07:42:25 -0700 (PDT)

As I understand, you want to differentiate the client-to-proxy and
proxy-to-proxy traffic.

Typically proxies run on port 80 too.
Whenever your firewall gets the port 80 request (SYN), you can
do reverse HTTP connection ie send TCP connect to source IP. If it
succeeds, it can be assumed that, the request came from proxy and
your firewall can log a message to the administartor or possibly
block the request. This scheme does not work, if client machine requires
HTTP server.

Srini