Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Intrusion Prevention Firewall

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:39:40 -0500

The other "spin" marketing places on "Intrusion Prevention Firewalls"
is a firewall-IDS integration arrangement where the IDS detects
an attack, and the firewall policy is automatically modified to block
the attack. Some firewalls also market the fact that they can detect
certain DOS attacks and scans (RSSA), and react by damping down traffic
or temporarily blocking sites where the attacks originate (WGRD).

I'm doing the intrusion "prevention" piece of a session at Networld+Interop
in May entitled "Intrusion Detection, Deception, and Prevention". I focus
more on prevention by better software development and deployment
practices. If you want to get an early look at this, I'm happy to post
an html version at my web site.