Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Microsoft ISA Server

From: "Bill Royds" <lists () royds net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:42:05 -0400

It is basically an extension of the Microsoft Proxy Server and its roots sometime shows.
Advantages
        - can use NT domains for authentication
        - is a true Application Gateway server, but has limits on which services it provides
        - can cache web pages to speed up subsequent access (not a security feature though).
        - can provide RADIUS/Kerberos authentication to other servers

Disadvantages
        - As an App Gateway, can be a bottleneck
        - Already has had several severe security bugs
        - has not a proven track record and has limited proxying capability.

What I would recommend is to use it behind a stateful filter firewall like a PIX or ipchains or FW-1 to handle NT
authentications, caching and some extra application level firewalling, while the FW-1 etc. faces the big bad Internet.
  That takes advantage of its strengths while limiting its possible weaknesses. You could put you web server farm
between the FW-1 and the ISA server, with your internal users going through the ISA. This will cache what the internal
users surf, speeding up access and the ISA can be used as an authenticator for the FW-1 firewall for access control.