Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

NAT vs translation vs routing in Gauntlet firewall

From: "George Lewis" <GLEWIS () fcc gov>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:39:56 -0400

Hi,
We're running Gauntlet 5.5 on Solaris 2.6 (we've just started the upgrade process to Gauntlet 6.0). I was asked
recently whether we were using NAT on the firewall, and my answer was no, butit does translate all internal IP
addresses to a single external address. The reason I answered no is that Gauntlet does provide NAT support, but it not
configured to do so. I was then asked whether it was doing routing, to which I said yes, but I'm told that's not the
case. So, I don't have NAT configured, but the firewall does translate addresses, and apparently is not routing. Can
anyone provide insight into this subject? Gauntlet does translate addresses, but is that NAT? Is NAT and routing
mutually exclusive, such that it either NATs or it routes, or is there something in between?

Thanks
George Lewis
FCC