Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Using SSL accelerators in firewalls

From: Ryan McBride <mcbride () countersiege com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:09:37 -0400

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 02:18:33PM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:

There would seem to be a growing trend in using SSL accelerators not
next to the web server but attached to a firewall so that it isn't
https traffic that passes through but http.

To me this screams out "bad design" as the end-to-end encryption is
lost in the process and the security of transactions eroded.

What do others think?  Is this becoming a "done thing" that is more
and more acceptable to corporates or is this just an isolated thing?

I've seen it in several production environments, and I believe it's
becoming increasingly common.

- It allows you to place a network IDS in a position where you can sniff
  the http traffic and look for application layer attacks.

- It allows you to do load balancing, caching, and application layer
  filtering with an intermediate box or boxes that you couldn't do on a
  raw SSL stream.

Yes, there the drawback of a potential loss of confidentiality on the
unencrypted segment, but if the system is carefully architected (network
segment for this purpose only, good filtering, etc) the risks can be
minimized. If they compromise your webserver, they can get the traffic
anyways - in the cases of webserver software with poor security
engineering,  the intermediate box can actually improve security by
blocking some classes of attacks.

-Ryan

--
Ryan T. McBride, CISSP - mcbride () countersiege com
Countersiege Systems Corporation - http://www.countersiege.com