Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: TLS/SSL revisited slightly...

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:37:39 -0400 (EDT)

On 30 Jul 2002, Eric Rescorla wrote:
That said:
Bugs 1 and 3 are server vulnerabilities, not client vulnerabilities
since they apply when the client sends bogus data to the server to get
it to overflow. (the client master key and client key exchange
are generated by the client and processed by the server.)

Yep, I read it too quickly.

Bug 2 is indeed a problem for clients.

But 4 is probably a problem for both, depending on the exact
circumstances in which integers are being parsed.

If it's a storage/conversion problem though, it'll be rare as a client
issue if it needs a 64-bit system.

None of this is really that relevant to browsers, since
neither IE nor Mozilla uses OpenSSL, but instead use their
own private things. IE uses SChannel/CAPI and Mozilla uses NSS.

I use both Links and Lynx, and they indeed use OpenSSL.

Paul