Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IPChains vs. IPTables

From: Nimesh Vakharia <nvakhari () clio rad sunysb edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:34:45 -0400 (EDT)

Anyone ever use the cotent inspection in ipTable?. Maintaining the
application state (give the total number of applictions and complexity of
each) to make decision based on the application state transistion as
defined per RFC can be pretty tricky. If it actually works, this could be
developed into a nice protocol anomaly engine. Anyone have pointers or
documentation for this?

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Volker Tanger wrote:

Greetings!

From: "Patrick Darden" <darden () armc org>

 > IPTables allow content inspection (making sure port 80 traffic is
 > web, 21 is ftp, etc.), making it a little better than a mere packet
 >  > filter.
 > Truthfully, though, with tunnelling, if you don't have tight access
 > lists then allowing any protocol access is just as secure via
 >  > packet filtering as packet inspection.  Loki uses icmp;
 >  > then there's ssl tunneling, ssh, and hosts of others....

IPTables does not , to my understanding, do content inspection. It does
state inspection, which IPChains does not, but does not check content. How
would you check content with IPTables?.

There are some first (pre-alpha) patches for IPtables (2.5 kernel) that
lay a foundation for packet data insprection. The "normal" IPtables only
is a stateful (not inspection) packet filter, whereas IPchains only is a
static (dumb) packet filter. For a detailed overview see
http://www.wyae.de/secure_gateway/gateways.html

Bye

Volker Tanger
IT-Security Consulting