Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Code review/audit and/or version control

From: Kevin Steves <kevin () atomicgears com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:36:07 -0700

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 11:46:24AM -0400, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
If you are doing version control, you have access to previous versions
and the commentary from when it was checked in.  Just as with in-line
comments, the version control comments have to be MEANINGFUL, not just
"made changes."!!!

I generally prefer short commit messages, that briefly communicate
what was changed and why.  I can read the diff for the details of
what--the message should provide hints as to whether you want to drill
down into the diff.  Also, there should generally be one
change/fix/etc. per commit.  Different project has varying levels of
rigor in this area.

ISTM that the old versions can be used to good advantage in two ways:

(1) New version introduces greater and unforeseen (of course!) security
problem; quickly get out old version with known but lesser security
problem, and also re-install whatever shim we had used to work around
the security problem until the "fixed" version was installed.

(2) Determine that the neat new way to do something has already been
tried, and read the MEANINGFUL version control comments to determine
why it was removed from service!

Yes, having revision history is invaluable.

--
Kevin Steves     | kevin () atomicgears com
Atomic Gears LLC | http://www.atomicgears.com/