Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Securing a Linux Firewall

From: Bruce Platt <Bruce () ei3 com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:32:21 -0400

I guess it depends on what you fear most and what systems you need to
maintain.  This thread started off as how to secure a firewall.  By nature
they should be limited to what is needed and that's all.

I don't care if a determined, knowledgeable attacker does damage or if it's
done by a clueless kiddie.

What I do care about is denying successful attacks be they the sort that
cracks a hole in the fw, crashes a process due to stack overflow, or grants
access by privilege elevation.

That's all I'm going to say on this topic.  I think we have different views.
I've used up my self-imposed limit on reply characters today :-)

Regards