Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

lack of imagination

From: "Alfonso Fiore" <afiore () secure-edge com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 18:05:51 +0200

Hi everybody! Some months ago I wrote on this list about a flaw in a well known personal firewall. Now I'm writing an article on that matter to report it. IMHO I was asked for a huge amount of pages for such a thing (just a bug explained in 100 lines) so I have to start from Adam and Eva (TCP/IP speaking). Here comes my question. Could somebody take a minute to advice me on other topics might eventually fit such an article?
chapter 1: firewall history
chapter 2: TCP/IP protocol (addresses, ports), TCP/IP headers, three way handshake, packet flags, sniffing, portscanning chapter 3: i/o from tools I used to discover the bug Any pointer to any whitepaper freely available would also be greatly appreciated. TIA for any idea, alfonso ps. please don't advice me to discuss with the one asking me for this. I already tried.