Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: firewall-wizards digest, Vol 1 #603 - 11 msgs

From: hmo () oneill-consultants com
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:13:53 -0500

Sonicwall provides a client free with the firewall. If the company has purchased a Sonicwall with VPN capability, then
the licenses are free, and the limits of concurrent VPN's are set in the Sonicwall itself.

I know there is a Windows client, not sure on Linux.

Also, we've found that we can connect to almost any VPN with our Sonicwalls, we are currently supporting over 30
dynamic VPN's from Speedstream 5861 DSL modems ( the -008 version with hardware acceleration for the IP SEC encryption)
as well as static VPN's to vendors firewalls running both Raptor and Checkpoint.

Sonicwall is very helpful in resolving connection issues, although lately they've started to charge for support, we've
found that they've never charged us yet. I've found that in most cases the problems lie in naming conventions for the
values used to configure the keys and handshaking. Also, make sure your have it set to pass fragments and not discard
them.  I've run Raptor and Checkpoint, and FW-1 on HP-UX, Unix, and Linux at some Fortune 50 companies and for the most
part find no need for them any longer. We run tighter security now of days and the Sonicwall is much easier to
configure and maintain.

-Hugh
==========
Hi,

My husband's work has installed a SonicWALL firewall,
previously they were using a Linux system for their firewall.

My husband was previously able to log into work via our
DSL connection at home through a hole in the firewall
set up for his static IP.

The new sys admin would like us to ideally get a SonicWALL
firewall with VPN tunneling at home so we could use a VPN
connection to get into work. But I'd like to avoid spending
the money if possible.

At home we have an SMC7004ABR Barricade router
that is capable of VPN pass through.  Is it possible to
set up some VPN software on the Linux box my husband
uses at home to launch a VPN connection with his work.
The other PC's on our home network would still use
TCP/IP and I'd like to use TCP/IP on my husband's
Linux box when he is not logged into his work to surf
the net and download updates to his operating system?

Is this possible?  If so pointer's to documents and VPN
software that would allow me to do this would be
appreciated.

Thanks!
Kathy Bieltz