Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Feedback on IPFW

From: Peter Lukas <plukas () oss uswest net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 09:53:58 -0600 (CST)

I've used it for minimal host protection across a number of systems. While
it certainly does not replace a gateway firewall, it's come in quite handy
in a pinch or in areas where gateway firewalls and/or router ACL's aren't
practical (or available). Here's a 2-second pre-coffee list of pros and
cons.

Pros:
* Stable
* Modestly efficient.
* Relatively stateful.
* Fairly simple to set up.
* Akin to Cisco ACL so even Router Jocks can deal with it.

Cons:
* Development may not be as prolific as in the past.
* Painful when managed by multiple individuals that don't communicate. ;-)

Of course, my bias stems from experiences using it at the host level
where the potential for operator error can have astronomical consequences.
If you're stuck with boot-camp or maveric sysadmins, be sure you've got a
working console connection (and a healthy outlet for rage)! :-)

Peter