Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Host Based Packet Filters (was: OT: The Morris worm to Nimda, how little we've learned or gained)

From: Bill_Royds () pch gc ca
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 10:03:10 -0500

The problem with using OpenBSD as a desktop is not security but
functionality. If I can't get the job done using the secure tools, then
the secure tools won't be used.
  The trade-off many corporations take is to use insecure but
"user-friendly" Microsoft products on an internal network and more
hardened Solaris/OpenBSD/Linux etc, on the Internet-facing side.
The product that separates one from the other is called a firewall. The
problem then arises in how to make the firewall enforce that separation
securely. As some have found, the only secure firewall is a complete gap.
No network connections between internal and external.
But this now loses productivity as well, so the pressures on network
designers, security designers and system administrators etc. is to find an
acceptable compromise. One that has enough security but not so much as to
reduce functionality below an economic level.  When all the functionality
of software that makes enterprises work is available on a secure OS (and
MS will never make that OS), then we can convert to that OS. Until then,
we need to reach a compromise. Yes, personal firewalls are not perfect.
But they can reduce the risk of certain security problems at an acceptable
cost. Security is not preventing all possible harm, it is limiting harm to
an acceptable level compared to cost.

Bill Royds
System Administrator, CHIN
ph: (819) 994-1200 X 239

"Robin S. Socha" <robin-dated-1010506831.4920dd () socha net>
01/05/02 12:15 PM