Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The Morris worm to Nimda, how little we've learned or gained

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 21:43:10 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, R. DuFresne wrote:

It's even worse then that though.  Even your 'average' unix admin installs
most every package on the vendors cd, and many even go through most all

Yep, part of the OBSD "not in a default install" success is that they
don't install much by default.  It'd be interesting to see the same stats for
every OS with the same services which come by default in OBSD.  I think
there is value in the work that the OBSD team has done in providing
platform assurance, but I think it needs to be tempered against
application sets when comparisons are made.

the 'ports' and install those too!  I've banged my head far too many times
when trying to get policies to a point where admins were 'supposed' to do
installs on systems based upon the specific services those machines were
supposed to be placed to support, and only those service.  While at AT&T,

It gets worse when you go to things like Solaris where CDE abounds and the
font server wants rpcbind.

As long as cd's are put out with total distributions and full or 'port'
code, getting systems up and running to support only the service the
system was commisioned to support in a near impossibility.  This is not
just an issue at the desktop level for sure...

It's worse though when the vendor mandates it through chaining code.
Exchange is probably the current canonical example (it wants SQL Server,
IIS...)  Solaris is a three day exercise to unwind enough stuff and compile
IPFilter into the kernel to block enough to be comfortable, futz with
runlevels...  Scripting helps, but it's a real pain the first time
through.

While Paul makes some good points about enduser 'education' being a lost
cause, education at the admin level certainly needs to be regeared I
think, and hiring practices re-examined.

Absolutely.  That's why despite my personal anti-certification stance[0],
I've poured actual energy into my employer's "what a generic network admin
needs to know about security" certification[1].

Paul
[0] Got none, want none, see little value in having them vs. experience.
[1] Ask me directly if you want to know and can't find it- the list
doesn't need marketing material.